- Place smoke detectors near bedrooms and on every floor.
- Test the batteries monthly & replace them at least twice a year.
- WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR CLOCK, CHANGE THE BATTERY IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR
- Place smoke detectors at least 4 to 6 inches away from corners.
Kitchen Fire Safety
- Never leave cooking unattended
- Keep lose fitting clothing away from burners.
- Keep cooking area clean and free of grease build up.
- Keep items away from the stove that could catch fire, such as paper towels, cereal boxes, and dish towels.
- Remember to turn stove off and unplug small appliances before leaving your home.
Safe Smoking Habits
- Smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires in this country!
- Never smoke in bed.
- Keep ashtrays from upholstered furniture and curtains.
- Never leave burning cigarettes unattended.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Use heaters only in well ventilated areas.
- Place heaters where they will not be knocked over easily.
- Keep blankets, clothing, curtains, furniture and anything that could get hot and catch fire away from portable heaters.
- Plug heaters directly into the wall socket and unplug them when they are not in use.
Wood Stoves And Fire Places
- Always use a protective screen.
- Clean interiors, hearths, and chimneys annually.
- Never leave children unattended around any heating source!
Children And Fire Safety
- Teach children that fire fighters are their friends, and will help them in a fire emergency.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- Make sure children know how to call for emergency assistance.
- Teach children how to " Stop, Drop and Roll" if their clothes catch on fire.
Fire Safety Websites